Welcome to the 2014 Riverside International Wine Competition!
California wine, long the nation’s best in terms of quality, began to face serious challenges to its quality dominance more than a decade ago from other states, first Oregon and Washington and then from other states.
After the 33rd Riverside International Wine Competition, it is clear that another new force must be reckoned with in terms of wine quality: Canada.
Additionally, wines from around the world added color and texture to the results of the RIWC, leading to a higher percentage of gold medals than ever before in the history of the event.
Eleven panels of 44 professional judges evaluated some 1,900 wines over a two-day period May 6-8 at South Coast resort, and the top five award winners were:
- Sweepstakes sparkling: 2008 Chateau Frank Blancs de Blanc, Finger Lakes, New York
- Sweepstakes Rose: 2012 Inman Family Rosé of Pinot Noir, “Endless Crush,” Russian River Valley, CA
- Sweepstakes White: 2013 Thirsty Owl Traminette, Finger Lakes, New York
- Sweepstakes Red: 2011 Pech Merle Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, CA
- Sweepstakes Dessert: 2013 Navarro Gewurztraminer, Anderson Valley, Cluster Select Late Harvest, Mendocino County, CA
The Winery of the Year is Jeff Runquist Wines for the amazing achievement of 12 high medals (silver and above) out of 14 submissions.
The award for Small Winery of the Year is tied between Eberle Winery of Paso Robles and La Frenz Winery of British Columbia, each with nine high medals
The Value Winery of the Year is Barefoot Cellars, with numerous medals for wines that sell for less than $10 a bottle.
The award for Terroir Winery of the Year is tied between Augusta Winery in Missouri and Burrowing Owl Winery in British Columbia.
The four International Riesling Association trophies for Riesling were:
- Best Dry: 2012 Wild Goose Riesling, British Columbia, Canada
- Best Medium-Dry: 2012 Willow Crest Riesling, Yakima Valley, Washington State
- Best Medium-Sweet: 2013 Cedar Creek Riesling, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
- Best Sweet: 2013 Navarro Riesling, Anderson Valley, Cluster Select Late Harvest, Mendocino County, California
For questions that the site does not address, please contact Dan Berger at 707-528-9466.